Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Hurrying and Worrying

One of my first school assignments includes writing a narrative of my spiritual life. One part of the assignment included deciding if you are naturally a "Mary" or a "Martha." I am naturally a Martha, but have worked to develop Mary tendencies during while on my own spiritual journey.

Now, there's not anything wrong with being a Martha, unless you get involved in hurrying and worrying. Unfortunately, I spent several years of my life doing just that. I hurried from one activity to the next and worried that I wasn't doing enough or not doing it well. The truth is that I enjoyed all of those activities and they were all good, but I wasn't selective about my activities. I spent time doing "good" things and dealing with the urgent, but left the "best" things undone.

At some point, I realized the futility of hurrying and worrying. I also evaluated my activities based on the values that I wanted to have; God, family, etc. A major shuffle was in order and that is what happened. At this point I do try to live my life making decisions about involvement in activities based on what God would have me do.

Now, no more hurrying and worrying.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

MOTHER BOONE!!! WHEN WILL I BE LISTED!!?? Oh by the way,what are you doing this weekend? OH AND ABOUT THE SEASON tickets, if you are going to buy them you have to buy them asap. for one its $25.00 and two for $50.00. You save 10 dollars then if you paid at the door. i figured you'd buy two because shows are on thursday and friday and i figured you and colby would come. just text me when you get this okay

jenny said...

You know me well enough to know I'm mostly Martha! This is that time of year to start a bunch of new things, and I *hope* I don't get involved with too much. Of course I ought to say I am *planning* on not getting into too much---it IS totally in my control! The hard part is, like you said, it's all good stuff. And the kids don't drive themselves to their events yet.

So the question is, which activities are the God-driven activities? The places I'm really called to and God needs me?

jenny said...

P.S.
This week, J was asked by the band director to play a "special" instrument and he agreed---he will play a french horn! I am excited for him. School is going great so far---which is saying something for him.

Chris Tesch, RE/MAX Bryan-College Station said...

And here I thought you were Beth, one of the sweetest and kindest people I know! Perhaps you've broken outside the mold....