Tuesday, August 28, 2007

In the thick of it ...

School has begun - for the kids and for me.

The kids started school on Monday (along with most of Texas). They are at 3 separate campuses this year, so it is interesting. Thankfully, the schools are only a couple of miles apart. They all came home happy and even excited about the year. I'm sure it will be another great one!

As for me, as with most of my college career, the beginning of the semester brings a feeling of excitement and of being overwhelmed. I'm always excited to begin a new semester (and get school supplies!), but I usually feel overwhelmed and unsure that I can do everything that will be required of me during the semester.

Added to the school work this time is learning all of the software programs that are used for online education. The programs work well, but I have no idea how to use any of them. The learning curve is in full swing right now. I worked for about 6 hours yesterday on assignments (not including the reading) and feel a little better now. I still have the issues of "discussion group" and "group assignments" to figure out.

The good news: I have about 5 people at the university to contact for help (not including the other students). It's really great to have that help available.

The first week is an orientation course that is (apparently) normally done over a semester. We are to complete it this week. The expectation is that we will spend 15-20 hours/week on classwork. Good thing I have been clearing my schedule (well, as much as you can when you have kids).

So I am in the thick of it ... and loving it!


Beth

Happy Back to School for all of you with kids or attending yourself.

2 comments:

Christopher C Hooton said...

I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed too. But I feel alive when I'm under pressure. Otherwise I lay around like a bum and it makes me nervous.

stationsix said...

Beth, I'm glad to help you if I can. I think it will all get a little easier once we get rolling. - joe