Saturday, September 15, 2007

Spiritual Formation

"A process designed by God in which we encounter, respond and yield to His Spirit so that we are transformed into the visible image of Jesus Christ on this earth."

That is the definition of Spiritual Formation that our discussion group wrote over the last 10 (or so) days.

Process - we don't ever 'arrive' at spiritual formation, we continue to work

Designed by God - God is the creator of us, the one who woos us and the designer of the path we take to Him

Encounter, respond and yield to His Spirit - our response to God's invitation into an intimate relationship with Him

Transformed - God changes us

Visible Image of Jesus Christ - our service to God on this earth, our relationships, our life is the visible image of Jesus Christ (Jesus' hands and feet) to the world in which we live

I really like the definition that we devised, except ... I can't remember it. It's too long. So I came up with my own definition of Spiritual Formation: (drum roll, please) . . .

"Becoming like Christ."

Nothing dramatic, no flashes of lightning. But becoming like Christ is dramatic. God creates a path for us to walk (or ignore) that leads us straight to his heart.

As we yield to His Spirit, we become more like Christ.
As we give up having our own way, we become more like Christ.
As we walk and talk intimately with the Father, we become more like Christ.


Do we want to walk the path?


1 comment:

jenny said...

This reminds me so much of what Wayne Wylie was talking about in Wed. night class here. We are all asked the question, "Will you do what the Father says?" (as in the story of the sons asked to go in the field and work) Are we the one who says , "Yes!" and doesn't do it? Or do we say, "No!" but ahve a change of heart and decide to go?

I think so many of us out here say yes, but when it comes down to the details of life, we say no to God. We do things our own way. We fudge a little. or maybe it's just me . . .

I want to say yes, and really make it true. I just have to keep righting myself! Good thing God doesn't give up on me!