Monday, July 2, 2007

Soup, Lasagna, Quiche, Gumbo, and Pie

Tortilla soup (thanks for the recipe, Clay)
Easy Lasagna
Taco Quiche
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
Breakfast Casserole
Lemon Pie
Pumpkin Bread

It must be cooking day.

For the uninitiated, "cooking day" at our house comes around about once a month. Plan, shop, prep and cook (preferably not all in the same day). The result is 15-25 (usually) delicious meals for our family.

I have to admit, I love to cook. Planning menus, choosing recipes, making a grocery list, shopping for the food, cutting, chopping, measuring, boiling, browning... I really enjoy it.

But, I hate cooking every day. I hate cooking every day!

Like most people, I'm busy. Work, kids, the house, church, school, trips to the library, shopping (we do live in the country, you know).

And besides that, cooking deserves its own special time. Time to savor the experience; time to consider how to "tweak" our favorite recipes to see if I can make it taste even better; time to clean up the mess I've made. Time I don't have in a typical week.

Cooking sandwiched between multiple activities becomes just that, sandwiches, hot dogs or fast food.

But cooking day brings a long relaxed day of putting together our favorite recipes, vacuum sealing them and placing them in the freezer (it is amazing what can be frozen). These wonderful meals can be thawed, heated, and eaten with a great salad or fresh vegetables.

Cooking day is exhausting, but it is good. Eat well.

2 comments:

jenny said...

Hey!! I think I might need a bigger freezer if I did a month of cooking in one day. I think it's a great idea, though.

I tagged you for a "meme", if you have time to do it. it's on my blog here---
http://sliceofjennyslife.blogspot.com/2007/07/8-random-things-meme.html#links

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth, this is your mothers younger twin. She sent me these blogs and I love them. While I was reading the first few, I was wondering if you still did you meals by the month, and lo and behold you wrote about that very thing. Fay and I and Deb went to a wedding somewhere around Houston to a CC church, a very large one and I later looked up there website and they have a program where once a month they get together at there church kitchen and perpare food for all that are there and some who can't attend and use the money as a fund raiser. Keep up the good work that you'all are doing. Love you all. Williebb.