Monday, June 25, 2007

Meditation

It is interesting to write a blog about something about which you know absolutely nothing. Meditation is not to be confused with mediation (which I do know a little about). So here it goes.

I'm reading a book right now that is titled, "Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life." The book is really an eye opener for me about the impact of practicing the spiritual disciplines in your life.

One section of the book is about meditation. I really don't know anything about meditation, except those images of people sitting on the floor with their legs crossed (in ways that make me hurt just to visualize) and saying, "Ohm," in a monotone "sing-song" kind of voice.

I personally think my mind would go on safari and I'd never get it back. Or worse, I'd go to sleep. If I get still and quiet, I tend to drop right off.

The author, Donald S. Whitney, proposes that the power of meditation, especially when combined with prayer, is far beyond what we can imagine. He states that prayer and meditation, combined, are a "one-two punch" for our spiritual life, bringing our response to God, and God's response to us.

Here is a method the author suggests:

1. Read a passage of scripture.

2. Select a section on which to meditate.

3. Read the section repeatedly, emphasizing each word in turn.

4. Listen to the words and respond in prayers of praise, repentance, adoration, etc.


For example, I was reading in 2 Chronicles. Let's say I chose to meditate on chapter 7, vs. 14:

"Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and heal their land." (NLT)

So to meditate on this verse I would read the verse all the way through, emphasizing each word (in bold) in turn until I have meditated on the entire verse, chapter, or whatever.

Then if my people who are called ....
Then if my people who are called ....
Then if my people who are called ....
Then if my people who are called ....
Then if my people who are called ....
Then if my people who are called ....
Then if my people who are called ....


You get the idea. I have started just this week and have chosen another passage in 2 Chronicles. I'd be interested to hear your results.

Happy meditating!

1 comment:

jenny said...

My interest is peaked. With the little bit of yoga I have done, I can see how emptying your mind of thoughts that are distracting is really useful and brings peace. When I'm up at night and can't sleep, I sometimes "breathe" through the Fruit of the Spirit. Breathe in Love, breathe out Hate/apathy, etc. Breathe in Joy, breathe out Disappointment. Just s-l-o-w-i-n-g d-o-w-n is beneficial.